Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Mixed Reactions Among Students

Although I expected most people to be against the Bishop's actions regarding Kennedy's view on abortion, I actually got some mixed reviews. I noticed that most democrats sided with Kennedy and considered Bishop Tobin to be too harsh, while some republicans were more understanding. Allison Merrick, a junior at BU said that "it's ridiculous that Kennedy shouldn't be allowed to accept the Eucharist. I don't see him refusing it to all church members who are pro-choice. It's not fair that Kennedy is singled out solely because he is a politician and comes from a prominent family. I happen to to believe in abortion, and I would be really sad if my spiritual life came under fire because of it". According to the Huffington Post, this particular incident has created a divide amongst Catholics. Patrick Murphy, a representative from Pennsylvania, is also a democrat that believes in abortion. He supports Kennedy because he knows what it feels like to be criticized by the Church for his political viewpoints. He claims that it is dangerous for church leaders to pressure politicians to push for anti-abortion legislation, it may lead to unintended consequences. These politicians want to support what they believe will be best for the country, and their decisions should not be influenced by their religious beliefs.
Jamie Kasabian, another BU junior, is a devout Catholic and democrat that tries to keep her political and religious beliefs separate. When I asked her what she thought about this past November's dispute between Bishop Tobin and Kennedy she stated "It's kind of a touchy subject, especially if you're a Catholic and a democrat. I try to follow Catholic teachings, however, there are some things I don't believe in. I don't think that makes me a bad Catholic and I think it would be unfair if someone denied my right to communion.
A few Catholic republicans are signing a different tune, however. " I can see where Bishop Tobin is coming from. I mean Kennedy is an influential political figure. It makes the church look bad because he is a well-known for being Catholic.
Its interesting to see the different opinions on the subject, because I think there is more religious debate when it comes to politics than people realize.


No comments:

Post a Comment